QUOTATIONS FROM THE CONSOLIDATION OF NATION STATES
Directions: Read each of the following quotations and then choose the individual you believe to be the speaker from the list of individuals listed below. Write the name of the speaker on the appropriate blank.
Possible answers: Bismarck, Cavour, Darwin, Garibaldi, Huxley, Leo XIII, Mazzini, Napoleon, Napoleon III, Nietzsche
1. ________"Power is never ridiculous."
2. ________"Anyone can govern by martial law."
3. ________"I am free because I am a man, made in God's image, inherently possessing in myself the powers and aspirations and destinies of all humanity."
4. ________"From time to time there are created men...in whose hands the destinies of their countries are placed. I believe myself to be one of those men."
5. ________ "It is impossible to reduce human society to one level. It is one thing to have a right to the possession of money, and another to have a right to use money as one pleases."
6. ________"He who is not strong enough must be knocked down and trodden to the ground. To him that hath shall be given, and from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath."
7. ________"A struggle for existence inevitably follows from the high rate at which all organic beings tend to increase. Every being which produces during its natural lifetime must suffer destruction during some period of its life."
8. _________"I designate this counter direction the extraction of man's luxury-surplus: through it shall be brought to light a stronger kind, a higher type, whose conditions or origin and maintenance shall be other than those of the average man."
9. ________"Social progress means a checking of the cosmic progress at every step and the substitution for it of another, which may be called the ethical process; the end of which is not the survival of those who may happen to be the fittest, in respect of the whole of the conditions which obtain, but of those who are ethically the best."
10. ________ "I offer neither pay, nor quarters, nor provisions; I offer hunger, thirst, forced marches, battles and death. Let him who loves his country in his heart, and not with his lips only, follow me."